Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's only one location on my lot suitable for hives. The others are all visible to a neighbor that would likely be displeased.

This site only gets sun from 10am to 8pm in the summer, with an hour of shade just after noon as the sun goes behind a spruce.

How screwed am I? Anything I can do to mitigate this?

(Moving hives is not an option as it would result in instant neighbor complaint to bylaw enforcement)

·
Registered
447 Posts
In the past 2 yrs, I have seen 4 thriving feral hives on the North side of buildings where they get very little or no direct sunlight . So although it might not be "best" I don't think your "out of business" even on that account.

RKR

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
This site only gets sun from 10am to 8pm in the summer, with an hour of shade just after noon as the sun goes behind a spruce.
Isn't that most of the day?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Your perceived problem, isn't a problem at all. Your bees should be just fine there.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You are screwed badly. Your bees will think they are a feral hive living in a tree. (I've never seen a bee tree that didn't shade the hive either.)

I have seen commercial operations put yards in the woods. If shade negatively impacted their production that much, I'm sure they would move the hives away from the shade.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
In the past, we were encouraged to provide a little shade for the benefit of the bees in the summer time. Then the small hive beetle arrived, and shade became an enemy to the bee... however, you being in Canada, are you really bothered by the shb? If not, don't worry about the shade issue.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Summer sun in my locale is about 6am to 11pm during the summer.
Currently daylight is from 7am to 9pm.
Is this not normal?
Something tells me that you live at around 60 degrees north, just like me.:)

It's not normal for people further south to be able to read the newspaper at 3 o'clock in the morning during summer.:)

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Summer sun in my locale is about 6am to 11pm during the summer.

Currently daylight is from 7am to 9pm.

Is this not normal?

Folks near the equator get about 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime. They think that is normal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts