Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It rained so much the last few days that one of my yards was under water for the first time ever. Only had eight hives in this yard. Water got up over the screen bottoms a few inches but the bees seem to be working in six. One hive was swept away and one hive with four supers was on its side. I went through this hive and each box had about four frames filled with water, pollen, honey, on the side which was next to the ground. I shook out the water and put things back together.. There's several frames of capped honey in the supers. Lots of dead bees but still a pretty good population.
Has anyone dealt with this before? I did not know what to do about the wet frames, After shaking out the water will the bees eventually dry these out or should I put these bees in a new hive? What about the capped honey, will it be ok or should I do away with it?
Thanks,

·
Registered
717 Posts
JMO

No, can't imagine how distressing it is for you (altho my house flooded in a hurricane some years back). I think that the bees & frames will recover from the water ok, but I would be concerned about petro, chemical or sewage contamination of the water if it flowed in from outside your property.

You might check some threads from around september of last year, as I remember some flood postings then (might do a BS search on hives flooded or something like that).

·
Registered
533 Posts
The temp in a hive is pretty warm. They will dry it all out. Just give them a space up top to rid the moisture. It is only water -- they should bounce back fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts