Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last several weeks as most of you know have been ultra cold here in the USA. Last week we were at -12 true temp with -20 windchill. I only gave my hives a wind break from the northern winds and a moisture quilt. No exterior insulation and I also have a wide open screened bottom board.

I have been monitoring my hives with a thermal camera and have been seeing heat at night every time I have looked at them with the camera.

Good news they are out and about today with the warmer temps! Thank you mother nature for gives us a few warm days so the bees can break cluster, cleans them shelves and find a new area in their cluster with food. However we are not out of the woods yet. Time to quickly check their food stores this week to make sure they are A-OK which they hopefully should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good News for sure. We hit -28 here in eastern Iowa actual last week, Colder than I've ever seen. Glad to see them flying yesterday at 45. Wished I'd invested in a hive thermometer last fall would have been neat to see how warm they kept it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Beware the ides of March or whenever your locality starts to end winter's grip and before natural resources are available, it can be a tough time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts