Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two hives this year, started from 4 frame Nucs. I hived the Nucs 17 days ago did the first real check today, both hives are booming. bees coving all 10 frames in one and 9 frames coved with bees in the other. Added a second deep to both of them and had to scrap masses of comb off the top of one along with hundereds of bees. I just dropped the comb and the bees in front of the hive. Is there anything else I should do??

Also I have to leave for a month, the wife will be looking after the bees.. Do you think one super should hold them for a month. Or should I tell her to add another in a couple of weeks???

Thanks Steve

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I have seen bees draw and fill and cap a super in 2 weeks sooooo think about it and mabee you should add 2 or 3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know when the next nectar flow is coming? Adding supers is not a problem especially if you anticipate a good nectar flow. The suggestion to add two is wise just to be prepared in case the flow is heavy.

About the burr comb you left in front of the hive. I suggest removing it to maintain cleanliness around the hive. Also, ground critters such as skunks are drawn to the pieces.
Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking I was going to remove it "the burr comb" but at the time it was covered with bees. I will clean it up tonight.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts