Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... this is my 2nd year in bee keeping so its my first wintering over process. I'm in Ohio and we've had our second nice warm day of the year and the bees are finally out and about. I would be happy to see this winter finally end. I started with 1 hive last year but quickly expanded to 3 because of some luck in picking up swarms.

I checked the hives about a 2 weeks ago when we had a slightly warm day by hearing from the outside for the buzzing and was able to confirm that 1 hive was at least going but in the other 2 I didn't hear anything (I didn't open them and risk losing any bees that did make it through the winter).

Today when I went out I saw activity at all 3 hives and had a question that hopefully someone can provide some feedback. The hive that I heard the buzzing from had little activity at the entrance but did have some activity. However the other 2 hives (I couldn't confirm had buzzing) had a good deal of activity at their entrances. I couldn't see if any bees were moving in between the hives since there was so much activity...

So my question is generally when the weather breaks, if you do have dead hives do the other hives rob them (quickly)? Or is it more likely that the hives were alive and made it through the winter? We've got a cold day coming tomorrow and it was late in the day so I didn't mess with the hive to do an inspection but will here shortly.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

Bill

·
Registered
327 Posts
i have 1 hive that is alive and 4 dead. if i didn't know better i would think i had 4 alive. if you watch the bees leave the hives you thought were dead, see if they go to the hive you know is alive. if so they are robbing

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i have 1 hive that is alive and 4 dead. if i didn't know better i would think i had 4 alive. if you watch the bees leave the hives you thought were dead, see if they go to the hive you know is alive. if so they are robbing
I am a 10 minute car ride from you crabbydad, down here in downtown Carney.

Out of 3 hives I have one dead, one which lost the queen which now has a handful of 1000 to 2000 bees, the third is a boomer bringing in much pale yellow and orange pollen, from what plants I do not know. There is quite a bit of robbing going on. I am going to move the handful into the boomer tomorrow. I am going into my third year of beeking, this being the first where I was able to bring a viable hive through the winter, so it is like Christmas morning for me :).

·
Registered
692 Posts
If there is honey in the deadout, other bees will rob it out during the warm spells. Seal the hive up if you want to save it.

Also each live hive has it's own level of activity. Some will be very busy while others aren't, so it is difficult to compare one to the other without doing an inspection.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
No, on a dead hive the other hives will not rob it quickly as they are still busy tending to their own affairs provided that
they have enough food reserves inside. Are you feeding them now?
Robbers are rarely giver! I'm not sure about your Spring time build up so if you don't see any pollen coming in then there
is a chance that this hive is dead. If it is still in winter time then it is too early to tell. You can do a sneak-a-peek
too since the other hives are flying.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I had a TON of activity as if a few thousand bees flying,........... not a one of my hives made it through winter, so yes robbing can be a possibility, The think though was it didn't really look like robbing but maybe that was because there was no guard bees to cause fighting.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
H C has it right. Robbing the less fortunate cousins is the first order of business coming out of winter. They can rob other dead-outs before there is any field forage available. Good duty, if the opportunity presents itself. And the scouts are looking for just that.

Walt

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yesterday I was in my bee yards getting dead outs out of the yards . And I had 1 that had some honey in it was just crazy busy once ya see robbing you won't second guess it. Mine seem to rob out fast at least in that yard . In my other yard about a foot ball field away that two deed outs and they where not touched .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts