Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday around noon we got a nice 4.5# swarm and brought it home and hived it. Went to put feed on it around 9pm and didn't see much entrance activity. Hubby found a ball of bees in a nearby tree. Of course they were too high up for the extension ladder to reach so we set up a bait hive under the tree and will keep our fingers crossed. When we went to pick up this swarm earlier in the day I remember the homeowner telling us there had been two separate balls of bees right next to each other but when we got there only one remained. We assumed the other swarm left before we got there. Now I am wondering if the two swarms merged into one and we ended up bringing home two queens and one left the hive we put them in and the other stayed behind since there are a fair amount of bees left in the hive we originally put them in. This was our 10th swarm capture in our two years of beekeeping and we have never closed up the entrance after hiving a swarm and they have never left before. Is my thinking correct or is there another explaination?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Not sure about the two in one but I caught a swarm this year and a day later it absconded to my neighbors front yard, so we hived it again, well these bee would have none of it and left a second time only to be captured by another beek two blocks over. Never had that happen before.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Brenda; before swarming a queen gets slimmed down so she can fly. That's why you'll usually find no eggs in the hive just prior to swarming. Anyway, I can tell you from many past experiences that they'll go through an excluder with no problem. Last year I hived a swarm in my backyard and about 2 hours later noticed they were leaving. I watched as the queen came out through the entrance excluder, turned around, went back in again, and then exited once more and flew away. Easy come, easy go! I've found the best way to keep them in the hive is to give them a frame of young brood and I also leave the swarm lure in for a week or so. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts