Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
I just hived my first swarm today, it was fun and felt great to be able to save a swarm.
the scarriest part was the 25 foot ladder, and holding a five gallon bucket full of bees, well it realy wasnt full but it got rough hanging on and scraping bees into a bucket.
they seem to be happy in their new home.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you had fun.
I wish you and them the best of luck.

Neubee

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neubee
It was fun, very exciting.
Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TwT
I think I know what you mean already.
Bill

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Swarms are great fun. Congratulations!

You'll get some easy ones that are not 25' up and then you will REALLY be hooked!

I love em !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well folks I have had two more swarms since my last post, and all in the same tree.
First one was about 25 feet up, the second one 30 or more so I cut the limb down and left it hanging on the tree and the next day another swarm on that same tree limb, which I was able to sit down under the tree and get.
so far all three swarms are doing ok and making comb and honey.
one swarm is smaller than the other two but making comb as well.
all three swarms were in a three day period, one each day .I dont know if all three were from my hives since I was gone each time they swarmed and I came home to find them just waiting to be hived.
I have been feeding all three swarms sugar water to help them get started (1:1 ).
this sure is breaking me in to beekeeping fast since this is my first spring at beekeeping.
I certainly am busy but enjoying it.
Bill

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hived my fourth today that was on a fence post. I took a nuc with two frames drawn comb and pecked on the box and they marched in like little soldiers. First time I saw that. Looks like swarm season in KY is off to a good start.
Henry

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Henry I believe you are right swarms every where.

Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hived my first swarm yesterday, 10 feet up an apple tree. It came from one of my hives not an hour after I'd manipulated the broodnest to keep it from swarming. Guess that didn't work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kris^ I sometimes think the bees play with our heads just a little.
It sure feels good to hive that first one dont it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh yeah! I'd never even SEEN a swarm before. Got my adrenaline running, for sure. I said "holy ****", then thought "free bees!" It was so big, and bees were still landing on it. But we walked right up to it without getting buzzed or harassed. It was amazing! GRabbed it while it was fresh.

·
Registered
971 Posts
A swarm is awsome to watch, it is also one of the safest times to approach them, unless they have been hanging for a couple of days then they tend to get testy (running out of stores and getting desperate).
Used my beevac last week on a swarm 14' up a cedar tree way out on the outet fringes of the branch, musta been 10 pounds of bees-it was the size of three basketballs and filled two deeps almost to over flowing. The people want me to cut out the mother hive from their soffet, going up between their rafters. Got a bait hive there till I can do the job.
GAUD I love swarms :D . The (swarm) season has finially reached the North West. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts