Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used the hive wraps from Dadent? I bought two. I want to see if it will help the bees to stay warmer this winter. In southeast Missouri we usually have a cold snap at the end of December. This year we lost 4 hives due to a prolonged cold snap(0•) in February. Any opinions would be welcome.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
That sounds a bit like what we would call getting "locked on brood". Can happen here if we have an early false spring then turns cold again. The cluster will not move off brood and will starve with food just barely out of reach. Bees can starve in just a very few days in that situation. An autopsy examination should easily diagnose this. How big were the clusters, how close was honey and pollen. Was there brood in all stages. Any mite guano in cells etc. Missouri should not require hive wrapping for a decent sized healthy colony.

Lack of wrapping might not be the crucial element.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,481 Posts
wraps will not be bad. IMO the cold was not your issue.
the wraps will slow change and allow the bees more time to adjust to sudden outside temp swings.
what was the hive configuration, And how long was the "snap"

GG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wraps will not be bad. IMO the cold was not your issue.
the wraps will slow change and allow the bees more time to adjust to sudden outside temp swings.
what was the hive configuration, And how long was the "snap"

GG
12 days at single digits and 0•. The hives had plenty of stores put up. Most hives had brood in all stages. We had one weak hive that we were pretty sure wasn’t going to make it because they didn’t have a good laying queen.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
This year we lost 4 hives due to a prolonged cold snap(0•) in February.
IMO, you did NOT have dry emegency feed placed on the top.
That did your bees in.
Even a small supply of dry sugar/fondant just above the bees what was needed.
Your bees were stuck in the most upper position without accessible honey (normal for February) and had no more food just above them.

The wraps would have done nothing (assuming thin wraps around wooden hives).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone ever used the hive wraps from Dadent? I bought two. I want to see if it will help the bees to stay warmer this winter. In southeast Missouri we usually have a cold snap at the end of December. This year we lost 4 hives due to a prolonged cold snap(0•) in February. Any opinions would be welcome.
I wrap with R.5 styrofoam hard density insulation. You can buy from Home Depot. I buy the 10 footers so thati Can get a could get a couple of hives out of it. The cost for this is about $10.00 and will defn last a long time and best of all very water proof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts