Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering at what temp I should take off hive wraps, I wrapped my hive 2 weeks ago when we had some bitterly cold temps in our area. since then we have had 7 inches of snow but today the temps are in the mid 40's. I wrapped them with tar paper and it seems to have worked out well, just need to know at what temp I should remove the wrap thanks.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I was wondering at what temp I should take off hive wraps, I wrapped my hive 2 weeks ago when we had some bitterly cold temps in our area.
You did what? In NC? I know folks in NY who never wrap their colonies. Unless you are in the mountains, I don't see why you would do this. But, if you find that it is of benefit, keep it up.

Unwrap them when you see lots of pollen coming in and a warming trend to the weather.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've wrapped both of my hives and they're doing fine. Just seen them both flying around a bit in 43 degree weather and doing house cleaning. I used and old 40 gallon water heater wrap. It was already white and supported the top with a little duct tape and the hive top feeder. Had 'em on since November. Once temps climb into the 30's at night, I'll consider removing them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.