Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about purchasing some hive wraps from amazon, but I’m not sure if they would fit around my hives. My boxes are standard dimensions, but the handles I built jut out from the box maybe an inch or two. I didn’t know if this would affect the coverage of the wrap, or if they make the wraps with a little give for instances such as this. (Also, do hive wraps use Velcro to keep them together, or are they just one solid piece?)

I’ve provided a photo of my hive setup and a link to the hive wrap. I’m also going to winter them in 3 medium boxes, which I’ve heard is basically the same height as two deeps.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-O...ld=1&keywords=hive+wrap&qid=1597539794&sr=8-3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'm a little north of you. Last winter I did without any kind of wrap and it worked well.

What I did do was move most of the hives up against the house and out of the wind. I put a medium on top and filled it with insulation, with a sugar block under the insulation. The bees spent the entire winter huddled up directly under the sugar blocks. This worked for both ten frame deeps and also 5 frame nucs.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
271 Posts
This is exactly what I did last year and they worked out great!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZ8cyrdZ7k
I'm assuming the video is illustrative and not yours personally? How did your tape hold up to sunlight? Video description says "High Adhesion Tape" and the caption says "Vapor seal (Tuck Tape)" not familiar with either...

In the south so insulation is less important but wanting to do something with plastic card board. AKA "political signs" Co-worker is friends with someone who works at the highway department and gets me the ones they remove for being too close to the road.

Thinking reversible, black on one side and white on the other. Well, mostly white. Political signs all seem to be printed on both sides. Some of the business signs are just one side.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm assuming the video is illustrative and not yours personally? How did your tape hold up to sunlight? Video description says "High Adhesion Tape" and the caption says "Vapor seal (Tuck Tape)" not familiar with either...

Yes, that video is not mine personally but I did follow it to make my “bee cozy’s”. I used gorilla tape and when I wrap my hives I wrap it with tape facing the hive so no tape is exposed.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
642 Posts
That looks like a Bee Cozy. Mannlake sells them for $10 cheaper. I use them and really enjoy them. Also fundamental are moisture boards and top cover insulation.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Buy some large black trash bags as they do the same thing. Insulation may cause moisture build-up if not properly ventilated.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I use 1/2 in insulation board that I use straps to keep it tight to the boxes. I have lower and upper entrances to vent moisture.
Winter Hives-2017.jpg

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Maybe black plastic on the sides, but I wouldn't put it over the tops. I did that once and the bees got soaking wet. Almost killed the hive and they never did really recover.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is a guy on youtube under the channel called "Vino Farms" with a ton of useful info. Here is a link for his video with "coreplast" (plastic cardboard type stuff) as well as foam "hive wraps". He keeps both upper and lower entrances open all winter (lowers are reduced of course plus mouse guards) but finally he uses "Vivaldi" quilt boards on top, and then covered with a big coreplast over that, so the hive is protected from water and snow, since it hangs over all the sides. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWFR0-yLh9w

Last year he overwintered 11 of 11 hives in the New England area

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like the bee cozy because in the spring time you can roll them up like sleeping bags and they don’t take up as much space the folded foam boards.. just my two cents...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses, but can anyone with bee cozies possibly guess if they would fit around my hives, since the handles jut out? I want to know if they are designed with a little slack, so they could fit hives like mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My guess is that the handles are going to be an issue. The commercially available 'cozies' JUST fit around a standard Langstroth 10 frame hive. The handles will definitely be an impediment. Perhaps the foam board approach with divots to accomodate the handholds would work... Or make your own cozy from black plastic and pink insulation ...
My two cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or make your own cozy from black plastic and pink insulation ...
My two cents.
I should’ve thought of that, I can’t believe I didn’t, thank you.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
From a demonstraton I was at.

The fellow dribbled a zig zag of paint on the plastic first to fasten the insulation, so it didn't sag.

He used a piece of sheet metal under a clothes iron to seal the plastic.

Life of the wrap is approx. five years.

Mice are somewhat of an issue as they chew holes and inhabit the insulation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are literally millions of pieces of free hive wrap on practically every street in thew USA. Most people call the political signs. Five of them and a little tape and you are set.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are literally millions of pieces of free hive wrap on practically every street in thew USA. Most people call the political signs. Five of them and a little tape and you are set.
I bet if you used some of those HUGE wide ones, you could just partially cut some vertical lines though one with a box knife, and just wrap the whole thing around a hive. You only need 16.25 + 16.25 + 19.875 + 19.875 ~= 72.5 wide to cover a standard 10 frame stack, as long as you are not counting insulation panels underneath. I knew we have to be able to use all that otherwise wasted political spending on something :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I insulate the top to keep it warmer than the back so condensation is on a wall and not overhead. I use upper vents as well. My theory on the insulation is it helps prevent the moisture from condensing/freezing/thawing where I do not want it, not to retain hive hear (energy). I do not insulate all sides so that in winter the hive can warm up enough for cleansing flights (around here they start laying second half of January and we don't have dandelions until april). Some folks above mentioned hive wrap and upper ventilation. Why is that combo helpful? I understand that there are 2 camps: vent moisture vs retain heat. I am not trying to start that feud, I just don't think one can do both.
Also, I believe any moisture board made out of homosote has insecticide impregnated in it as it is intended for construction applications. I would not want that on my bees all winter, though I do not know how much of an effect it has on them if they don't eat it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts