Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone has experience having a beehive with multiple queens? Do not confuse with 2 bee colonies in one hive separated by a board and common super. I am talking about lets say 3 queens living together side by side in a hive.

What would be an advantage and disadvantage of this kind of setup?

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
You can probably search up articles on enabling many queens to work together by removing part of their mandibles. Knowing their main grappling means is compromised they dont confront each other. I believe it was linked to here on BS. Used for the production of royal jelly which is a premium product in Asia.

Maybe that is the secret to some of the claims of amazing honey production and outbreeding the mites! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
In the current post titled “where ar3 thetrestmen5 tree beekeepers” this was mentioned by Michael Palmer. It’s within the last 2 or 3 pages. Deb

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
No personal experience, but from what I have read here, 2 queens is not all that uncommon. As Deb stated, Michael Palmer has seen three. J

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I have seen two queens peacefully laying on the same frame inches apart. On one occasion they both appeared to be fuzzy younger queens though full sized. I think the literature is correct that `10-15% of hives have multiple queens. Who keeps looking after they find the first?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Who keeps looking after they find the first?
Exactly. When I'm doing my re-queening in July...last job before beginning harvest...I look for evidence of multiple queens when removing the old queen. What would that be?

Torn down queen cells...sometimes just the bases of the cells.
A good pattern when before the pattern was poor.
A young queen when before there was a shaky old queen.

Don't always get it correct, so using push-in cages gives a second chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts