Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I just take out the 2 internal feeders and leave them to it? Only a few bars to go. Do I empty and leave the feeders until another time or hive or place somewhere nearby pls? I hope that it is almost full means they don't need any more feed but if they do I worry about robbing if I place jars elsewhere. Am in upstate NYif that matters :)

Thank you.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Mark, if you have put syrup inside your hives and your bees are not touching it, I think that would indicate at least a trickle of a nectar flow. If you leave that syrup in those feeders and the bees don't consume it, chances are it will sour and ferment. Since right now you are probably getting some nectar from the last of the basswood, the clovers, and other things I can't think of right now, feeding shouldn't be necessary.

Pretty soon, sooner than we might wish, goldenrod will be starting to bloom. I have heard over the years that goldenrod in the Saratoga Springs area yields well. So, I'd recommend taking that syrup off and storing it in your refrigerator, if you have space to spare. Or dumping it down the drain or on the ground in the corner of your yard or wherever you have space.

Once you have seen what the goldenrod does for your hives you will probably want to feed syrup to get the hives up to weight for the Winter. Unless they have gotten themselves up to weight on the G-rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts