Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As summer heats up I have been thinking about giving the girls some relief in the form of venting. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of just popsicle sticks on the corners but was worried that it would raise the cover to high and allow in rain or invaders. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
825 Posts
I live in South Florida...when the hive can handle it, I run the entrances wide open (solid bottoms)....Inner cover, groove up and to the back. Outer cover pushed to the back. Air into the front, and out the top back. Never had mold...never had comb break down....bees happy as can be. Here, popsicle sticks would probably be fatal for the hive, allowing too much space for bull ants and SHB to enter. May be different there, especially with SHB, but be aware of the ants!!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Where i'm at i run with the entrance reducer's at the 4" opening and have a hive top feeder with the migratory cover propped up a bit. Ants get into the feeder but the bees won't allow them any further. Sometimes they beard in the heat of the day, but most of the time they are just fine. No problems with wilting comb, mold, mildew, etc.. Bees keep it cooled down enough otherwise as well.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
FWIW, I've been experimenting with this type vent. Searched on google to find 1.5 inch screened circular vent.

IMG_1128.jpg

Fits a 1.5 inch hole. The weather gets very hot here. 90+ days over 100F last summer. I use hardware cloth across the entrance leaving 1.5 inch opening there, plus this type vent on a top super provides as much or as little as the bees want. The hives have late afternoon shade.

Small hive beetle and wax moth pressures are something we must deal with, so, I don't open the hive 24/7 to their attacks. The screened vent assists their evaporative cooling and the hardware cloth over 90% of the bottom entrance leaves only a small entrance for pests to enter the hive. Works for me :)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If I saw excessive bearding (bearding not in line with the temperatures and the strength of the hive) I would try adding some ventilation and/or room. If it didn't change I'd leave them alone. Ventilation is easy, just a stick to prop the top open or slide the top box back 3/4".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts