Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new to the board and beekeeping. I am getting two packages this Friday. I had a basic question. First I live in south texas and was curious about the slatted racks. I have a solid bottom board, standard inner cover with notch, and a beetle trap. Is there any major benefit to install a slatted rack?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
A slatted rack allows the bees room to cluster in the colony instead of hanging outside where critters can eat them. With a new package, that is not going to be a factor good or bad for several months. It won't harm or help now, but will serve a purpose later.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If your going foundationless on your frames, I've read that the bees tend to fill out the frame space with comb better. Generally they halt just before the bottom bar but with the slatted rack I guess it gives an illusion of more space so they finish it on out all the way to the bottom part of the frame. Thats what I read anyyway.....havent tried it. I have one but I was told not to use it in conjuction with the screened bottom board for whatever reason. I'm going to do it anyway when I change out my bottom board soon with one that has an screened with an oil tray in it and see what happens. With the heat you'll be experiencing in S. TX it may prove to be a big benifit for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with Ross. The best thing is the sbb in texts bc it gets hot! I put my hives on a tree line literally so they are shaded from about 1130-130 and then get the late and early shot. Face them south to catch a breeze but a screened bob is the must. Also look out for shb I play the smoosh game in weaker hives all summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts