Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just wondering if any other beeks out there have ever experienced vandalism to there hives. acts such as: poisoning, burning, theft or tipping hives over. i have experienced such acts in the last few years and little could be done. just wondering how other people handled these types of situation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can put a motion detecting deer camera in view of the hives but otherwise concealed. I may sound crazy but you might be surprised as to what you find.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's really not a bad idea 1too...I have worked in LE since 2000 and on more then one occasion after a property owner got tired of trespassers and destruction of property they did the very same thing and more than once the person(s) committing the crime were captured on camera and eventually charged criminally.

Or put up a big sign saying the hives contain African KILLER bees, Stay OUT!!!:D

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's really not a bad idea 1too...I have worked in LE since 2000 and on more then one occasion after a property owner got tired of trespassers and destruction of property they did the very same thing and more than once the person(s) committing the crime were captured on camera and eventually charged criminally.

Or put up a big sign saying the hives contain African KILLER bees, Stay OUT!!!:D
And to reinforce the perception get a dead dog and put it in your yard LOL!!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Of course Greg. Every so often. Once some AHs knockes over the entire yard. Used the rocks to smash the nucs to pieces. Called the cops. Cop came. Yard is 1/4 mile up hill, through mud hole, through cedars...cop wants to drive. I invite him to ride with me and the hound. No dice! He'll drive. Never makes it through the mud hole. HAS to ride with me and the hound. Get to the yard. Cop won't leave the cab of the truck. Scared s**tless. I get him out of the mud hole and he says he'll call. I never hold my breath.

And how about just last month. AHs again. In my cell building yard this time. Drive through the yard with their truck. Tip over cell builders. Kill cells. Cells never emerge in mating nucs. Lots of effed up mating nucs.

Gotta be a duck and let the water roll off your back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the reason i bring this up is i was in this one yard today and it brought back some bad memories. about 8 years ago a certain individual decided to take his tractor and knock about 20 hives over. after we had picked up that mess it was just a few days later that this same person decided to put phostoxin tablets in the entrance of the hives. we lost over 70 hives right before the honey flow. his house is located about 4 miles from the yard so it's not like the bees were sitting in his back yard.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
we have had minor problems, intentional and not. Lumberjack fells a tree on a few hives. A few hives get tipped over in winter. A couple of bored deer hunters sight in on the handhole. Nothing significant. Worst was 30 years ago when the dump caught fire and spread over to the beeyard.

Yard placement can help or curb vandalism. It really helps to be on good terms with the landowners.

Roland

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a relative with a trespassing problem. To keep hunters out, he put up a gate. They drove around the gate. So, he put some nice screws through a 2x4 and planted em on each side of the gate. He immediately found the trespasser. Who carries two spares.....nobody...

Personally, if I did that, they would come back with a vengeance. The camera thing sounds like the best idea.

Rob

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Greg...I know this sounds bad, but your neighbor probably wouldnt have a house there now if I was you. I have had some (bad words) drive a big tired pick up over 6 pallets amking kindling wood out of them....I just made a bondfire. THis year some(badword)
tipped over four hives with a small tired car....both had 2 deeps honey. I put down 2x4's with spikes in them to flatten ires..so far they havent returned. Onehive got robbed out, one died out/beetlemess. the other two are ok.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If your pockets are deep enough purchase the camera that sends the pictures directly back to your computer. That way if they spot the camera and destroy it, take the card out, it has already sent the pictures back to your computer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
well the reason i bring this up is i was in this one yard today and it brought back some bad memories. about 8 years ago a certain individual decided to take his tractor and knock about 20 hives over. after we had picked up that mess it was just a few days later that this same person decided to put phostoxin tablets in the entrance of the hives. we lost over 70 hives right before the honey flow. his house is located about 4 miles from the yard so it's not like the bees were sitting in his back yard.
Some good camo and a few loads of rock salt should take care of that problem

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Several years back I had 170 hives pollinating squash.
One of the sets of hives were WAY, WAY back in the field at the edge of forest land.
I remember thinking when I delivered them about how safe these hives were, so far away from people.
When the day came to retrieve the hives, something caught my eye.
It was so unusual that it did not immediatly register.
"Why are there chunks of wood missing from these hives?"
Well, then it sunk in; some knucklehead had shot up this group of hives.
And they were not aiming at the hand holds or any thing else; they just blazed away.
Here is a picture of some that I had just boomed onto my truck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Shallotman/DSC00377.jpg

The bees made it through just fine, but I had to replace quite a few frames in the next year.
:cry:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ouch!!!!!! yeah that difinately hurts. my favorite is when a yard gets burned down. lol i could keep naming stuff all day long

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
"Why are there chunks of wood missing from these hives?"
Well, then it sunk in; some knucklehead had shot up this group of hives.

Woodpeckers can do a number on hives too.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It's a shame for everyone involved. One incident like this or a single gunshot cow can result in hundreds of acres of land becoming inaccessible to hunters, fishermen, or just kids that should be free to play in the woods and fields. When I was a kid you could wander anywhere and never see a no trespassing sign - now I have them myself. Sad.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Build a fence like ours, attach a solar fencer to the fence, get the good 5000+ volts out of it...it can be done....
put the charger in the yard, about a foot off the ground
make sure the gate is charged, attach a chain and lock to the gate
then remember your rubber hose to open the gate. (My husband put a slider pin in the gate and into the post.

Is it fair we should fortiefy our bee yards like this because of idiots who have nothing better to do? No it is not. But think of it this way...no skunk and no bear, as long as the fencer is charged!

However the tractor would be an issue. I would put diamond harrows upside down at the land entrance. Remind yourself not to drive over them.
If it is not your land, get some old diamond harrows and place them around your yard...you need to remember they are there!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had some hives to get shot up before with it looks like buckshot cause they would be blown up pretty good.They were way out in the woods where no one is around for miles in a deer hunting club but of course none of them knew anything about it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
well looks like i jinxed myself by starting this thread. got a call yesterday from the sheriff saying that some hives had got knocked over. haven't had any problems like this for over 2 years. looks like somebody had a lil fun with their pickup. they did however leave behind a mirror and some glass from their headlights. they knocked over 8 hives and managed to ruin about 20 boxes and maybe about 100 frames. 4 hives were beyond saving.

more pics of damage here:
http://s794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/gregstahlman/2010%20honey%20crop/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts