Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a quick look in my hive. This hive started as a package on April 14. Im running a deep and a medium for a broods nest. I added my first honey medium today and removed the feeder after looking at the brood medium and 7 of the frames are fully drawn and a few cells are capped. I did notice that most of the cells in the medium brood frames contain sugar water or nectar and are not capped and the queen has no eggs in the medium brood box. Does the queen keep laying in the deep over and over until shes out of space then move up or has the nectar in the medium brood box got the queen bound to the bottom box? I just dont want to screw up in my first year! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
sounds like she is bound to the bottom box because they stored the medium full of syrup. you could pull a few frames (3-4) of the syrup and replace them with foundation so they draw it and hopefully she will move up as it is drawn. I would not reccomend moving these frames up into you honey super as they are most likely syrup and should not be mixed. She is gonna need more room sooner than later, do what you have to to provide. Leave the feeder off for a while see how they do with natural sources, they will use the stored syrup to build out the new frames.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Heres a good reason to inspect your brood boxes. I looked at mine and in a short time my queen looks like its gone bad and laid all drones!! Im working with Velbert to requeen. Bad thing is i saw her earlier today and then decided to go back and remove her and cant find her...all i ended up with was a lot of distrubed bees...I guess I will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just found both my queens and removed them. I will meet with Velbert tomorrow and requeen. I hope I do it right. Velbert said to go in every few days and scrape off the caps of the drone cells to get rid of some of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts