Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a while since I was here so wanted to let everyone know what has been going on with Hive Tracks. We've added major new functionality we’re calling Hive Tracks 2.0:

• Personalized Google Map with 1, 2 and 3 mile radius rings around your bee yards. When you view the map in satellite mode you get an unprecedented view of where your bees are likely to forage. You can see which fields, forests, gardens and roadsides your bees will visit. If you have more than one yard, you can see how their forage rings might intersect. You can click and drag the pin to the exact location of your yard to within a few feet! It’s so cool! Just follow the link at the top of any page in Hive Tracks named “My Map”.

• Folks can contribute to a shared map where they can see other yards in their neighborhood. This feature is only enabled is you opt in and you can opt out at any time. This too is an incredible tool for visualizing how well your yards are covering and how you might move then just a bit to vastly improve honey production.

• You can add links to photos, videos or any other web based address to hives and yards. It’s a great way to catalog your digital photos you take during inspections.

• We’ve added printed reports of all kinds. You can print blank inspection sheets to take into the yard and you can print “Place Cards” for your hives which have a scan-able QR-Code which is a link directly to that hive in Hive Tracks.

• You can save your data locally now to from any report to Excel, Word or PDF.

• We’ve moved Hive Tracks to a dedicated server. It’s much faster now.

• We now track harvests which you can record in any units you want, gallons, quarts, pounds, grams, etc.

• There is now on line help for those new to Hive Tracks to help you get started.

• We have a Calendar of events the first of which is a webinar presented on February 9th at 6 PM by Brush Mountain Bee Farm. See the new calendar for details. The calendar is on the home page (click the logo to get there).

Please revisit Hive Tracks and use it this spring to get a fresh start on your record keeping throughout the 2011 season.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it possible to run hive tracks in an offline version? I take a laptop to beeyards with me and want to enter data before I leave each yard. I have no internet access when out in the yards.
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offline version but we are working on an Android app. The best thing to do in your case is to print a handful of our blank inspection sheets and take them to the yard then enter the data in Hive tracks when you get back home. Its a bit of extra effort but well worth it when you get a return from having all that data sortable, searchable, backed up and in one place.

·
Banned
840 Posts
still hoping to see other hive and management types in the near future.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry TBH keeps getting pushed back big bear, but its just so hard to get away from the basics we end up working on like harvests, maps, and reports. I do get a lot of requests for TBH so it will continue to be considered. Its going to be diffiuct since we are so "component" oriented.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the post. Your program is very easy to use. Just one question: Why are the radius rings oblate? You have my bees travelling much further north and south, than east and west.
Thanks

·
Banned
840 Posts
perhaps another site dedicated to tbh and warre, etc. .is warranted then? any takers out there?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post. Your program is very easy to use. Just one question: Why are the radius rings oblate? You have my bees travelling much further north and south, than east and west.
Thanks
I get this question a lot. This is due to the location of the satellite. If your yard is near the equator, then the rings are more rounded, as you move away from the equator the rings elongate because the satellite view is from the equator. Make sense? At least this is how it was explained to me by the folks who make the software I use to render the rings. If you use the menu that is embbeded in the map named "Map" and change it to "Hybrid" you will see the terrain and then it makes more sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts