Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here use this program? I just learned how to do the qr codes for each hive. I think taping the code on the inside of the top cover and scan it when I work the hives will help with record keeping.

Where do you think would be the best place to have the code mounted. I am thinking the top of the telescoping cover inside if a ziplock bag taped to the top of the cover. Anyone else have ideas on where to put the codes?

This seems like a great app can not wait to try it out when all of my packages and nuts are ready.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hj,
Hoping you meant "nucs" in that last sentence...:D LOL!

Anyway, Yes I use Hive Tracks and think it's a great program, I started using it last year and kind of got lazy about keeping up with updating it. However, I saw the redesign at the ABF convention last month and was really impressed and recommitted to staying on top of my documentation this year. I've known about the QR codes for a while, think they're neat, and have thought about using them...just haven't done it yet. I think the options you've considered would work, another one would be to laminate the code and attach to the exterior of the hive, but inside the top cover probably makes the most sense.

Do you where gloves? What device do you use? Operating a touch screen with gloves, doesn't work... I've never really tried it, but inputting info while I inspect really doesn't seem like a good option. What has worked best for me is the audio recorder on my iPhone. After every couple of hive inspections, I step away, hit the record button and give a 15-60 second quick recap of what I found in those hives and what needs to be done. Later, when time allows and I'm sitting comfortable at my computer, I replay the recording and make my entries in Hive Tracks. Again, the real "trick" in my opinion, is to be disciplined enough to actually sit down and make those entries!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I actually was thinking about that. I do think that electronics and stiky stuff do not go well together. I considered making notes in the yard and having a laminated card with the QR codes on them so I could just scan that code and update the hive info once i am back to my car. It seems like more work but my hives are in the middle of a tick infested field....I don't stay there ANY longer than I have to!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts