Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go with hive top feeders this year so a friend of mine from beesource made me some (If you are reading this: thank you for making them).

I am very grateful to have them. They are a nice change.

I have learned that if the space that the bees enter is not completely blocked off, bees will get out. Doesnt matter how small the opening, they will come out and die in the syrup.

Anyone experiance this and what have other people done to correct this problem?

At this time, I moved some of the wire back and re-stapled it all. I also made sure that there is no open wire at all so I am taking smaller peices of wire and cramming them in. than I took gorilla glue and put a line down on the flat part of the feeder to hold the wire where I want it.

Hopefully this is working! I am tired of the dead bees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I've switched to top feeders also. I had a problem with the screen not going all the way to the bottom. syrup got low, bees got in, ended up with dead bees . Had several drown also. I thought I had a better solution, remove the screen, place a plastic bag filled with syrup in the chambers and poke a few holes in the top of the bag. As the bees feed the bag empties . worked great till I opened a hive yesturday. I found the bag had completely leaked out and I had several hundred dead bees. I hate seeing a dozen die let alone two hand fulls. The screens went back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Last year I built ten of the Miller feeders, which uses screen wire for restricting the bees from getting out and into the sugar water.
I had four of them that had a lot of dead bees in the syrup tanks. Upon close inspection, I found that there were holes in the corners where the screen didn't completely shut out the bees.
My solution was to remove the feeder, let it completely dry out, and apply a daub of silicon sealant (adhesive) in each corner and let it dry for 48 hours.
This is working great and I haven't lost any more bees here.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top