Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The honey flow seems to be over until goldenrod season in my area.
I am thinking of hivetop feeding just to get comb drawn for goldenrod flow. I dont have any drawn comb, just foundation in a shallow super. do I remove the inner cover or place the feeder on top of it ?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I've always removed the inner cover. Don't put the inner cover on top of the feeder, bees are likely to get in through the top entrance and drown.

George-

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks George
I bought a hivetop feeder from Walter T Kelly it has masonite on the bottom and I am having trouble stopping the leaks, I`ll try again with more sealer.

Bill

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had a few that are leaky and beyond repair...so what I did was buy some foil loaf pans at the grocery store and stick them in. Depending on your feeder, you can find foil pans that are nearly a perfect fit...and they are cheap too!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I always put my feeder on top of an inner cover, unless I'm feeding baggies. At least one reason is to keep the bees from drawing comb in the empty box you use to cover the feeder.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing about feeding for comb, but what do you do with the sugar water they store in the comb? Ive got nuc's ive been feeding out and they have capped honey in the drawn comb before drawing all the foundation out, which is fine for their winter feed but you cant have that sugar water mixed with your honey crop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arky
That is a good question I did not know they would do that.
An old timer told me to do this and the would draw out comb and be able to possibly get a box of honey by mid September.
He said to remove feeder when the comb was drawn out.
I guess if they put syrup in the super I will just feed it to them this winter, and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ross
the feeder I am using is 4-3/4 " high with a divider in the middle with wire over it to keep bees out of syrup, they can only get to small area of feeder. ( at least That is what suppose to happen) then the cover placed on top.

Thanks Baldylocks I will try that aluminium tray.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts