Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I remember correctly I used the inner cover. I put it on top of the feeder. You could probably go with or without one. As long as nothing can get in and gain access to the syrup.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If you use a telescoping cover you will need to have an inner cover to keep the bees from propolising the TC down. Put it on top of the feeder, it helps keep bees out of the feeder, as tibadoe said, and you will have to put it somewhere. It helps to answer your questions if you have put your state in your location, the U.S.A. has varied conditions and what is important in some areas is not as important as in others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used this type of feeder for several years and I just leave the inner cover out of the hive until I stop feeding. My inner covers have notches for ventilation and would allow access to the syrup if placed on top of the feeder.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I staple some window screen or #8 screen over the hole in the inner cover so moisture can get out but bees and other critters can't get into the syrup. I have put just some nylon window screen over the hive top feeder(like a 16x24 sheet) if the telescoping cover is warped or doesn't fit tight enough to keep bees out. Learned the hard way when I went to refill the feeder and it had several hundred drowned bees in the feeder. I don't use the feeders with the wooden floats in them, I like the ones that have the black liner with screen in the middle where the bees come up through the middle. I can pop off the top, fill the feeder and usually not wear a bee suit or head cover nor worry about getting stung. Most of the time I do use the inner cover.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You may have to install the inner cover on top of the top brood box and then the feeder. Bees may start to build comb in the wider throated types without it. I like the Miller feeder as it has a narrow throat and bees cannot get into the syrup reservoirs other than V they feed in. Makes for easy filling and outer cover/migratory cover never gets propolised down.

Block the notch in the inner cover lip with wood or screening to prevet robbing.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
The primary issue is the notch. The secondary one is the moisture. I would not put an inner cover on with a top feeder. A concrete block on the lid is good insurance that it will seal so bees can't get in the top...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts