Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
If I was to go this way I would use something from these people. You can get way stronger magnet than the ones you listed. After you use these you will no longer use anything but RARE earth magnets. How are you seeing using a magnet on your boxes or sew it into your vail/suit? And if you buy them buy more an you plan on, for you and wife,kids will find uses for them.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What's wrong w/ your back pocket? Don't like the propolis? I like low tech things myself. I don't need another peice of equipment to keep track of. But go ahead. It'll probably work for you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
So a magnet is high tech? C'mon! The tool never dropped out of your pocket? The belt is great as it not only carries your hive tool but whatever else you need is right at hand. Try building a house sometime without a tool belt. Madness. Lowes sells the leather belts and you just add on a few pockets and a magnet. Good for hive staples, queens cages, etc. You can even use a tool hook for a smoker. And yeah, why get propolis and honey and slumgum inside my pockets? I run construction crews and nobody gets paid unless they have their tool belts ON. I hired some stoners one time -- nice guys -- they were going to wait till payday to buy some belts. I turn around on Wednesday and they are ripping fresh sheetrock out of a wall. Why? They had placed their tools on the framed walls and had sealed them inside. I was laughing so hard I did not fire them, but yeah, the belt will save you time and hassle. Trust me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I could just see myself sewing a rare earth magnet into my bee suit that's so strong that it just rips through my suit when I try to pull the hive tool away. That would be my luck. :lpf:

Out of curiosity, why not just use a string tied to the hole in the hive tool?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
So a magnet is high tech? C'mon! The tool never dropped out of your pocket? The belt is great as it not only carries your hive tool but whatever else you need is right at hand. Try building a house sometime without a tool belt.
Working bees is not building a house. The only tools I need, when working my bees is a hive tool, a smoker and a veil. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

"The tool never dropped out of your pocket?" Yeah, sure. And I've dropped one out of my hand too. But I don't need to do anything other than pick it up again.

The magnet is a nice and neat idea. I just don't need it. Thanks. My back pocket serves me well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered a set of the red ones to bolt to my bobcat so I cut holes in my seat. The hummer bee comes with magnets similar to those.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"(Not sure what "powerful neomagnetic technology" is.")
Let's say what would be call a big one 2"x2"x2" can hurt you even small 3/4 rounds by 1/4 thick will give you a nasty pinch if you get between it and metal. :eek They start out at a couple of lb of pull force and go up from there. Have seen in the 20+ lb range.
David

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
What's wrong w/ your back pocket? Don't like the propolis? I like low tech things myself. I don't need another peice of equipment to keep track of. But go ahead. It'll probably work for you.
I agree with the back pocket. Then the floor of the truck so I don't rip holes in my seat!

·
Registered
706 Posts
my back pocket works real good also my file pocket on the side of my loggers jeans works even better I hate buying something just for the sake of doing it when I alread have some thing that works for me. but if you want a cool tool box for beekeeping look at brushymountains beekeeping tool box my wife got me one for xmas its a nuc it hold all my tools smoker too. it can hold a swarm. its cool. but for the most part I keep tools on my back pocket out of habbit for the past twenty years. I have screw drivers wrenches hive too etc hanging out my back pocket torn more seats then i care to count.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
"Lowes sells the leather belts and you just add on a few pockets and a magnet..... You can even use a tool hook for a smoker. "

Chances are I'd set my butt on fire.

Wayne

1 - 20 of 26 Posts