Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my fault. The landing board had split a few weeks ago and I completely spaced it out. Well, the honey made the hive top heavy and it tipped over. Bees everywhere.

Can anyone tell me what to look for as far as the queen having perished or not?

Should I go back in a few days and separate the hive bodies and see if she's laying eggs down in hive body one or two?

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Hi Michelle,
Sorry to hear about the tipped hive.
Just check back in 5 days or a week, see if you see eggs.
You should, by then, see eggs if the queen is there, and see queen cells being started if she's not. I'm hoping you'll find she's there and laying fine. Usually the queen will be on comb, not in a clump on the ground, usually.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had hives blown over in storms a few times. Restack it as soon as you can, then wait 5-7 days to do an inspection. Should be OK.
I've been fortunate and never lost a queen in one of these wrecks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice and reassurance everyone! I really am amazed at how calm they were when we put the hive back together. Some of them were working while many were flying around. No stings and no attempt to sting so it is quite possible they were laying on the ground several hours and I just didn't notice.

I'll check for evidence of a queen then at the end of this coming week. Hopefully things are going along nicely and she's ok.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
"I really am amazed at how calm they were when we put the hive back together. Some of them were working while many were flying around. No stings and no attempt to sting so it is quite possible they were laying on the ground several hours and I just didn't notice."

This is a good sign the queen is there and alive and well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
horses knocked one of my hives over once, i went out picked them back up and stacked them noticing that the frames were glued in good with propalis. DOn't even think it bothered em.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I strap all my hives together with a ratchet strap. Even if a horse, bear, teenager or hurricane knocks it over it is together. For the horse, bear and kids they will get stung and think twice the next time. My dogs chase each other around the yard. When they get to playing, they forget what they run into on rare occasions, at least the painful memory lasts and the hive is still together. Rotties can topple a hive at full speed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is great to know that their being so calm is a sign the queen is alive, that makes me feel more optimistic about this experience. :)

The strap is a great idea. Hubby says he'll pick up one of those bungie cords that people use to strap things down in the trunk of their car. Hopefully that will work :scratch: Hopefully they are long enough.

wolfpenfarm,

we were lucky with the frames, they all stayed pretty much in tact, except may 3 had slid somewhat to the side. Otherwise things looked good in that area. I checked for puddles of honey, worried maybe that would have poured everywhere, but didn't see any of that either.

·
Registered
429 Posts
you need a heavier strap than those rubber bungies., I suggest at least an inch wide ratchet, I love the 2 inch ones, when I am moving, but I try to keep the 1 inch on any questionable locations.

·
Registered
143 Posts
you need a heavier strap than those rubber bungies
I've found 1" straps at Home Depot that work well. They come two to a package and are pretty inexpensive. I use them in both directions over the hive and around the slats of the pallet they sit on; pretty solid and easy to release and tighten. I double them up as the hive gets taller. This arrangement has thwarted my local bear that got through the electric fence on a couple of occasions. Good luck Paul

I also use "Thule" straps since I have them, but found the black Home Depot straps work just as well and are cheaper. Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts