Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 2nd year and this is my first hive I got. I caught 3 smarms in my bee yard this year so I know this hive has swarmed about two weeks ago. My question is ... I inspected this hive yesterday to find no brood and a lot of honey in the brood box..... So how long should I wait to see if I have a unmated queen before requeen this hive? What else can I do :scratch:...a frame of brood from another hive? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
You could put a frame of brood in for a test. Or a queen cell from another hive if you had one swarm recently. My guess is it has a virgin. She should be laying within a couple weeks from emergence but usually sooner.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I woudl give them a frame of young open brood. make sure the frames has at least some eggs in it.

as for time it takes for the new queen to get up and running. The hive could have swarmed as soon as the cell was capped. this is 8 days before the virgin emerges or over half the time you have had so far. The virgin queen will then spend the first week getting strengthened up and making orientation flights. During the second week which you are not even to yet. She will make her mating flights. It then still takes a day or two for her to lay at all. and even then it will be slow gettign started.

Now all this is dependent on the idea that she survives at all. Since I run about a 50% loss rate on queens from egg to mated I like to hedge my bet. plus I don't like queens that are all beat up from other virgins. So I remove all queen cells produced. incubate them evaluate them so that they are even suitable to tie up mating equipment then let them all mate. i can then pick from the best. i am pretty much guaranteed to not only get one but get a quality one.

The waiting seems like forever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice..Several empty queen cells in hive..will place frame of brood from another hive today... thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts