Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hive-building has gone slower than expected, and I've only got 1 deep and an inner cover per hive. Packages are arriving next week.

I still don't think this is a problem... with the feeder pail inverted on top of the inner cover, the hive will still be bee-tight. Rain is a possibility, but any leaking will fall through the screened bottom board.

In the coming weeks I can proceed to build my medium supers and pitched outer-roof to house the feeder pail...

This ad-hoc arrangement makes my wife a bit skittish. Does anyone see any potential issues or considerations with this?

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it were me, I'd just slap together a box deep enough to house your feeder pail and cover it with a piece of plywood or whatever to keep any potential rain out. Make sure it's longer & wider than the box & weight it down. Doesn't have to be pretty--and it won't be on there long enough to deteriorate. Wouldn't even bother to paint it. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes because you're not going to be cutting rabbet edges or anything, just making a box with the same LxW dimensions as your hive.

I have several odd boxes around that I whipped up (screwed together, not glued) when I was trying different feeder designs. As long as it keeps the hive dark & dry, the bees really don't seem to care what the outside looks like. Even with a SBB, you really don't want water trickling thru the hive.

That way you can take your time getting the rest of the hive components built to your satisfaction. It does seem like I'm spending more time making bee boxes than cabinets for my house. Good thing I have a patient husband.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I hived a bunch of packages last week and found an extra queen running with the herd when I dumped the package in the hive. I built a quick nuc for the extra queen and just cut a hole in the plywood top for the bucket feeder. A week later and no problems, even with some rain. I'll just make a solid top for the nuc when I stop feeding.

Draping some plastic over the top might be a help if you're getting a lot of rain.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I had one hive knocked over by a brush hog and left open on its side all winter. Come spring it still had bees, so I stood it up and made honey. Bees aren't nearly as picky about hives as beekeepers are. I use migratory tops (flat plywood) with 2" holes for feeding. I use them year around with a block of wood over the hole. I never cover a bucket feeder with a box.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I have a friend that uses a plastic garbage bag to cover the hive when useing a bucket top feeder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts