Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check on one of my hives, i'm a second year beek. Got there just as they were swarming. The swarm split into 2 groups, 1 very large and 1 kinda small. I'm going to try and catch them. Should i put them together or treat them as 2 seperate swarms. Also the branch the large group is on is rather large and about 10 feet up. Any tips on how to get them down I dont think i can cut the branch and hold them at the same time. Vance

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
make 2 hives out of them. put an empty hive or other container on the top of a step ladder, under the swarm, and brush,scoop, or sweep them down into it. good luck,mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Watched one of my hive swarm last friday. Pretty cool thing to watch. Was able to get them in to a nuc without problem. Great to see mother nature at work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had almost the same thing happen. I got a hive set up that I was going to put them in on the ground below.Then sprayed the swarm lightly with sugar syrup and took me a bucket and bee brush up the ladder and brushed them in the bucket, then poured them in the hive below, repeated it till got almost all of them. It also helps to put a white sheet underneath them so you don't step on the ones who fall.
Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts