Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New beek in Maine. Freshman.... My hive swarmed today, now what is my next step. when should I inspect, do I replace the reducer, what do I look for inside, should I put a super on. This was a @7 lbs swarm that was caught in May. It has two deep hive bodies for brood chamber. I was just about to put a med super on but I was too late I guess (I was away on business for 10 days). any advice is helpful thanx

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
What you should have in your hive right now is either a bunch of ripe queen cells or a virgin queen. Within a week or so she will take a mating flight. Then come back and shortly after begin laying. I would leave them be for several weeks then check for eggs. It won't hurt anything to put a super on them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have also noticed ALOT of drone activity. About 20% coming and going are drones. Logic tells me this is in preparation for the mating flight's that are about to take place and must be normal. Right?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yep...genetically it would be better if she mated with unrelated drones, but they are still going to shore up the numbers before swarming just in case.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If you've got cells you should be ok - just no honey for you and probably you'll be feeding them in September to get them ready for winter. Where abouts in Maine are you? I know people in various parts of the state if you'd like to talk with someone local. (I'm on the board of the Maine State Beekeepers Assoc.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm located in Lisbon and I wasn't even planning on removing anything from this hive this season. Ill be talking to Rick Cooper of Bees-N-Me this weekend (I work 2shift and his shop hours are eve and weekends)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
You've got a good resource in Rick - He is an EAS Master Beekeeper. I wish I knew half of what he has probably forgotten about bees. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts