Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two of my hives swarm 5 weeks ago. I checked them yesterday and saw no sign of a queen in either hive, hey are also much more aggressive than normal. What's the chances that both hives went queenless* after swarming? I will give them a frame of eggs just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Did you see swarm cells?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It never hurts to give them a frame of eggs. Five weeks is more than long enough for the to raise a new queen and have her laying. When they swarm there is a capped queen cell that will emerge 8 days or less later and be laying between 14 and 21 days after that so at the outside it should be 29 days (4 weeks) to eggs, unless there were a lot of after swarms which could push it further out...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did catch a small swarm from one of the hives. I think it must have been an afterswarm. when I checked the swarm today, (five weeks since I hived it) I found the queen and she had maybe 20 cells with eggs in them. Some of the cells had multiple eggs and some had an egg on the side of the cell. Hope she will get straightened out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did catch a small swarm from one of the hives. I think it must have been an afterswarm. when I checked the swarm today, (five weeks since I hived it) I found the queen and she had maybe 20 cells with eggs in them. Some of the cells had multiple eggs and some had an egg on the side of the cell. Hope she will get straightened out.
Doesn't sound like you have a queen. Probably a laying worker.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
sounds like a young queen just getting started. As for the original colonies. If they swarmed when the cells where capped it is still as much as 8 days for the virgins to emerge. they will then need up to 3 weeks to show they are mated and laying. even then the eggs can be hard to find. We are now 4 weeks post swarming. I often give them another week just so the brood is easier to find. The best thing I have found for spotting eggs is black plastic foundation. Eggs on wax are invisible to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts