Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoops. I ran out of hive staples with the last hive I moved and I forgot to buy more at the feed store yesterday. I really need to move this hive tomorrow morning. What else can I use to keep it together while moving it? I'm only going about 1 1/2 miles but its across our farm so not exactly a smooth road. Anyone have any ideas on how to Jerry-rig this? Driving back to the feed store is out of the question as it is 30 miles one way.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I never use hive staples. Place a ratchet tie-down strap around the hive (use two, one in each direction if you like). It will not come apart, especially if you use two straps.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Just take a short piece ( 8") of 1 X 4 or something close to that and span the joint between bottom board and hive box and shoot a couple short screws in the board to hold everything together, put one on both sides of the hive, that should do it. Better than hammering nails into an occupied hive. John

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
They are wrong, a bad road and a tie strap, turns out badly, ask me how I know.. Use the scrap wood and some screws, min. 2 sides.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I dont know whewe Waynesville is but if your close to KC hit up Ed Fisher in Smithville. Or if your up NW hit Drapers in IA. Also if your close to Sedalia? you could get someone(beek) to bring some to the state fair!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Stretch wrap

I use stretch wrap sold in office supply stores like Staples. It's like cling wrap for the kitchen but not as wide and in bigger rolls with a handle. Of course you could use the cling wrap too. A couple of wraps around each joint and they aren't going anywhere. For added security you can also use it vertically around the top & bottom a couple of times.

ekrouse

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are wrong, a bad road and a tie strap, turns out badly, ask me how I know.. Use the scrap wood and some screws, min. 2 sides.
Haha I was going to use rachet straps but I read a post (i'm guessing yours) not too long ago about a bad experience with straps. I've got lots of straps but no scrap wood. I may have to use the two strap idea and just ride in the back and help hold it together. As far as the suggestion from the person in Cameron, MO. I'm at least 2 hrs from KC and nearly that from the fair. I'm in central mo near Ft. Wood. Bill's farm and home in Lebanon is the only ones near here that sell anything bee related and even that is slim pickin's. Interesting that you are from Cameron though, my psychotic sister lives there now lol!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Duct tape does work well. The last time I moved a hive, I duct taped the boxes and then strapped them together. Worked fine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use Tie wraps with 2 screws on each corner plus a ratchet strap . Be sure to put the screws at a diagonal . The staples upset the bees when you drive them in but screws don't and if you need to cut them it is easy

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, I was going to say that I move hives all the time using just the heavy black rubber bungee cords and never have any problem. However on second thought, I move single box hives that way. Never tried a two box hive. Mostly I'm just hauling swarms & such home. Sounds like the wooden strips screwed to the hive would work well for multiple box hives.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts