Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I see them now haha thanks! I would make a more durable hive stand that can withstand “x” amount or reinforce the one you have now. Nothing like
Picking up a hive that has fallen during a storm or collapsing due to weight issues. You could always remove supers as they are ready to help with the weight issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see them now haha thanks! I would make a more durable hive stand that can withstand “x” amount or reinforce the one you have now. Nothing like
Picking up a hive that has fallen during a storm or collapsing due to weight issues. You could always remove supers as they are ready to help with the weight issue.
Awesome, will make that my project this week

·
Premium Member
Mutts and carniolans.
678 Posts
Collapsed or just sunk in the dirt in the rear? Hard to tell from the pictures. If the former, a stronger stand is needed. Just sunk then some cap blocks or stepping stones should do the tick.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I imagine an elephant could stand on one of those without it collapsing. What it looks like to me is a combination of height, weight and soft ground. If the legs are sinking into the soil buy yourself some concrete pavers for the legs to sit on. I would have someone help you move the hive to the side temporarily and then set and level the pavers. Replace the hive and I bet your leaning tower of Pisa problem will be gone

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
2,035 Posts
I use cinder blocks for hive stands. I have been over 350 lbs on a hive and not had any problems.

It almost looks like the legs are siniking into the ground vs deforming. But the legs on bricks/concrete/similar so that you are decreasing the ground pressure (force per area) to reduce how much it is sinking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts