Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 4/18/14 I moved some frames around in my most full hive. They had 10 frames of brood. I didn't have any empty frames to give the queen more room to lay eggs. The foragers were bring in nectar and back filling the brood nest very fast. The redbud and dandylions were both blooming.

This week when I went back to work the hive on 4/29/14 there were 6 frames that had capped queen cells. I made up 4 nucs, added 1 frame to a queenless hive and left one frame in the hive.

I had hoped to use this hive for honey production but it had other plans for me. I see why empty frames are sold or at least asked for. I also see that I need to work the hives more often during this time of year. At least they didn't swarm on me. By the way this is my 3rd year with the girls.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael, I have two other hives that should give me a good honey production. Maybe even the hive I split from. I wanted to double my number of colonies this year. I had pulled 2 - 2 frame splits but there weren't the right age eggs for them to make queens from. So I'm glad this hive gave me the queen cells I needed.

Matt, I didn't see the queen or fresh eggs so I assume this hive swarmed already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts