Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today one of my hives has many swarm cells and one was open. Although it is late I am going to do what I call a walk away split leaving the bottom box with hopefully a new returning queen. The top box which consists of 2 supers will be placed elsewhere. My problem is that I have ordered a new queen but will not receive it for 6 days. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Before something can be suggested, you should specify what is it are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Split the hive and make sure you only use capped brood with no QC for the hive you intend to introduce the purchased queen. Double check it for QC before you introduce the new queen. J

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg
I am interested in preserving the hive that has or will soon swarm. It has numerous swarm cells, replacement cells and one open swarm cell with still a good bee population. I am interested in honey production and not necessarily additional hives. I have 2 new queens coming in about 5 days. I was going to split with the hope the virgin queen would go back to her old hive and I would place a new queen in the split. My experience however is that the virgin queen does not always make it back. Last year, I cleaned out the swarm cells from the orginal swarm hive, left it queen less for about 1 week, and then introduced a new queen with success. Worked on about 3 hives that swarmed. This year I was going to splits I would have 2 possible hives in the event one failed.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you use capped brood in the split and double check for QC,they cannot make a queen. You can do that on your schedule and introduce the purchased queen when she arrives. I would remove attendants.
If you do not want to increase,but need to deal with swarming and want production, your best friend is the Snelgrove board aka double screen board. Lots of info here on its many uses. It sounds complicated when you read about it,but it is not. J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts