Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O Mighty Forum,

Is there any way of ascertaining a nectar flow by the activities of the bees at the hive entrance?

I cannot find any info on the nectar flow of my region (trust me, I've researched for months, but there's naught on the net and no other beeks nearby to ask).

My bees are very busy all day coming in and out, with contented sounds and 1/4 to 1/2 bringing in pollen. Can I assume they are all successfully finding nectar? Would I be able to tell without opening the hive if we are in a dearth?

They are textbook healthy and productive whenever I look in the hive, but I was curious if there were any external signs to look for. I don't want them starving or absconding because of my inability to read them.

Thanks,
Anja

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
beedeetee,

Thanks for the references. I envy those with beeks nearby to consult with and perhaps do a visual, but I sure am glad for the Beesource network. Lost without.

Anja

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
As a hobbyist you should be opening your hives for general inspection every couple of weeks, whenever they are active/above 60* or so. Then you will see nectar being stored and capped during a flow and it being uncapped and eaten during a dearth. Also you may notice wax crumbs on the bottom board from the uncapping process. Some say the bees will land clumsily when they have a tank full of nectar. I am amazed at how they fly into the wind with much precision. Every four weeks you should be getting into the brood-nest looking for brood, eggs, the queen and for disease or other anomalies. I am always discouraged when my questions do not get answered. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
When there is a good flow there is alot of skinny bees leaving the hive fast and alot of fat bees returning slow.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
If u want to know if there is a flow...put out some honey....if they ignore it...flow is on!!!
Yep, scratch a comb and hang in where you can see it out your living room window or somewhere close, maybe off your back porch. It will show you how strong or weak the nectar flow is.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I watch my bees in the am. I see the scouts coming back in and in a very short time,,,I see bees rolling out! A bee who has her tank full is obvious,,,to me anyway,,,very distended abdomen. I had seen them coming back so full,,and tired,,they sometimes fall short of the hive and have to rest a min. before they can make it back in. I had one land on me,,,she just looked at me as if to say,,,"I'm to pooped to sting you,,give me a minute,,I'll be on my way.":D
My Obs

Rick SoMd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts