Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine called me about some bee hives at the local golf course that they want removed (the groundskeeper was stung 30+ times a couple of days ago). I went to look at them this morning, and all three hives are in tree cavities, from 1 - 5' above ground. Cutting the trees down is not an option, and two of them (pines) have small cracks that I cannot reach into. There is a cedar tree that appears to have a large opening (covered in poison ivy.....bummer). The highest hive (5') has been there for several years. Do any of you have suggestions for how to go about removing these bees?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
do a search at the top of the page for "trapout". wear disposale rubber gloves around the poison ivy, and consider a suit of clothes from "goodwill" or another thrift store, and throw 'em away after. TECHNU makes a wash that does help for after, but its not perfect. :( good luck,mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info; you guys got me heading in the right direction! I'm still new to beekeeping; I'll learn the nomenclature eventually. I spoke to the golf course guys today about trapping them out, and they were very cooperative....they like honey too :) I got some #8 hardware cloth at the hardware store this evening, and have made a couple of cones. I also made an el-cheapo bee vac using two rubbermaid-like containers (I tried it on some crickets and it works great!). If all goes well I'll get the traps set in a day or two (depends on the day job....work keeps getting in the way of my hobbies). I may try to vacuum the cedar tree bees first, since that opening is really big. I've got some major pruning to do on that one also, with the giant poison ivy vine everywhere....never was allergic to the stuff until about 3 years ago....

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
(the groundskeeper was stung 30+ times a couple of days ago).
One thing to think about is how close to public traffic the TOs will be they do get "ticked" some times when you are trapping.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You might want to try one of the Cleo(Whimpey)Hogan bee traps that Kelley sells or just make one yourself.I got a chance to talk to Cleo and have him explain how it works and he said that you can get the bees out queen and all if you do it right.I already have a couple of these in use and they look promising.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you can't get the combs out you should consider sealing the trees in some fashion to keep the next swarm from taking up residence in the trees....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Attach the cone to a piece of plywood to screw into the tree. Let the tree entrance determine the size of plywood. Some of mine have been somewhat square while others have been long and somewhat narrow. But just make sure that the plywood covers as much of the entrance as possible.

I have 3 TO going right now. Another thing, patience....... because the bees are persistant and will find all kinds of ways to get back in the tree/house/wall, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts