Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a family friend that has property he just received through inheritance and his father use to keep a hive or two of bees. Once he passed away about 10-15 years ago he had a hive that was active and no one has tended to it in that amount of time. He saw that the hive was still there and walked over to it and noticed activity the other day since we had a random 65 degreee day in tn last week. He really wants me to come and get them by this weekend but it will be cold. My problem is that since it has been there so long the wood is probably not great and it would be to cold to transplant them into a new hive I have built so whats the best way to move them 30 miles?

·
Registered
535 Posts
There's a lot of unknowns here. How bad a shape is the box their in? I would try to move them in their box even if it required sandwiching plywood to all sides, top, bottom and holding together with ratchet straps. Woody

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
so whats the best way to move them 30 miles?
Any way you can! 15 years and still there, sometim got to be good about these bees.
I like what motox suggested. Brace up the hive with plywood and move it. Once it is happy where you moved it do a trap out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts