Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I have about 500 acres . It's in in four different locations about 5 miles from the start to the furtherest but don't place to use the furtherest at this time because its not as handy and I could have mort people pest problems at it .
So the closest is my house which is 24 acres 20 of which is being planted in peach trees have a 1/4 planted now and other 3/4 will be planted next year in late winter . So it leaves me with 4 acres to place some so the sprays I have to use in the orchard want get on the hives. Thinking I'm going to put 2-4 hives on this location at this time as I don't 100 % need them all for pollination at this time since the trees I have are so young .

Next location is 1 1/2 miles down the road it's a cattle farm also where my mom lives . I will have to fence around them I know was planing on 8-10 hives but set it up for more if needed in the future . But where I would really like to put them is some what close to a pond like 40 or so feet . My hives would be in full sun and the pond would be west of the hives which would be in a line running east to west facing south with pasture in there view not the pond . Am I going to have a problem with dragonflies . Or should I have them further away from the pond how far if so?

Third location is another 1 mile or so away from second don't plan to have them at this location yet either .

It does get hot here in the summer 100 degrees do they need more shade . I see full sun can offer less problems.

And another question does anyone see having carpet under and on the ground as a grass blocker cause any problems . I have good friend that keeps me supplied in used carpet figured it would be good to have no grass under or around them close . Thinking it could cut and kill any larvae also if they could even get through it.

And any thoughts on the best way to keep fire ants out since we do have them I am going to treat the ground before I have any hives there and before I place the carpet if ya'll think its a good idea.

So I guess my biggest thing is full sun or shaded as it will be one or the other at any location. And the pond closeness at the second location .

And if I do have to set them in front of each other as in two rows in a line how close is to close to have them so the back hives ain't bothering the front hive while being worked .

Thoughts ???

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
As long as your hives are light colored shade is not a requirement. Afternoon shade would be good but morning full sun on entrance, gets the bees up and working.

Fencing is a necessity if you have bears and best if you have cattle or horses.

If you want two rows close together, place the rows back to back with a space between the sides. I like that arrangement as I have someplace handy to set things when working on a colony.

Keeping grass down is good but I don't know what vermin might take up residence beneath carpet. Best of luck in your enterprise.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well don't know 100% still where I'm putting them . But made me some hive stands made 3 going to make one more got to get one more stick of tube . Going to just start with three hives per stand . But they will hold 5 .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts