Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to be able to grow enough that I'll be looking to get a 4ft by 6ft trailer to put some hives on permanently I don't like working a hive facing the entrance.What would happen if I faced all the hives inward?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
If they face each other there will be a lot of drifting and robbing. You can easily work four hives from the sides or end, depending on how you look at it or place them. Search to see how hive pallets are arranged for commercial beekeepers. Lock that trailer down or it will disappear. There are not as many honest people or even beehavers these days. They arrested the VP of one of the Florida beekeeping clubs for stealing hives. There are several bee thieves unprosecuted down here too. The hives are marked. The Sheriff went to the thief's house and saw the stolen hives. Nothing was done about it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have 11 hives on a trailer now, facing outward on the edge of the trailer. I can walk between them and work them from behind. When I get a trailer to place them permanently, it will be facing outward with a center aisle enabling me to work them while standing on the trailer.

Seems like if you place them facing each other, you'll be standing on the ground, instead of the trailer, to work them. Unless I'm missing something.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have thought about doing this myself to make it easier to move them. Ken, unless you get a great deal on a 4x6 trailer, I would set my sights on something bigger. I don't know how many hives you plan on having, but on a 6 foot in length trailer, if you space the hives just a couple of inches apart, which is a bit close, you'll get 4 hives on each side for a total of 8 hives all together.

C2

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks for all the answers I'll want to put my trailors on my dads and some uncles lands.That are real remote so I'm hoping all that I'll have to worry about as in varmits is bears.As me facing the hives inward my left leg is disabled and it would be hard for me to climb in and out of a trailor all day the girls would still have around 1ft from each enterance I was just wondering if that would be enough.This is really not going to be a major problem for me I would have the enterances facing me on the outside I just was wondering what would be the hang ups doing this.THANKS YOU-ALL

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Face them all in, it'll work out. Make beekeeping as easy on YOU as you can. Facing the hives all in is an inconvenience for the bees, of much less degree than the advantages to you are, by facing them all in. Bees know which hive is theirs, and I don't think facing in would be any more or less of influence on drifting. I think the direction of the greatest nectar flows in relation to the positions of the hives makes more influence on drifting. Facing them all in on your trailer will just cause more congestion is all from the bees flights. You'll find that when they do their cleansing and orientation flights in the afternoons, that they will time themselves so that no two or three next to or in front of each other will do it at the same time. They'll take turns so the congestion of flight may not be as bad as you might think. Go for it, a foot is far enough apart I say.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The only problem I see (or may not even be a problem) is that you are on the ground, the hives on a trailer, now you have to add supers or go through all these supered hives there is only so much height you can reach and by now the hives have the height of trailer added to them. Hope you don't have problems with reach; perhaps a stepping stool will solve this. I still believe accessing them from the trailer (having them facing out) will work best, you only have to get up on the trailer once and get down once. Using a stepping stool seems you will have to climb it for every hive that is out of reach. Good luck

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The height of my supers will worry me I put at least four to five mediums supers on three medium brood boxes. I've looked at the trailors that I want and they seem pretty low to the ground.But that might still be a little high.I'll just have to see.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I keep mine on a trailer facing in. My trailer is larger, 7' wide and 9' long. I keep them facing in and only let them get 2 deeps tall. I have a bad back and made this decision just recently. It works better for me. I can't work on hives too low to the ground, they need to be waist high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.