Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just would like to get some input on my hive placement. I have a white house with a south facing rear wall (20ft) that also has an adjoining west facing wall (7ft). Full sun for the majority of the day. Thinking of placing 6-7 hives here. Im in avon ct, not nj.

Will I have overheating issues?

My biggest concern is poop on the white house, year round but mostly cleansing flights. Will this be and issue?

Thanks for any input.
---Beekkirk

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have a similar setup without the west wall, but the deck is to the west. I like it a lot, great morning sun, late afternoon shade, in a bit of a wind break. But it is on our basketball court. We didn't build the court, it was here when we moved in. But now my wife wants me to move the bees so my son can use the wall to practice lacrosse, so it is going to have to go someplace else in the yard. As far as poop goes, I've never seen any flung on the walls, and if they put it on the roof it is too high for me to see.. The only time I've really seen it is after extended rains or the snow this year, and it is directly out in front of the hive or on the outer cover.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess ill give this an update for anyone who may have similar concerns. With 12 hives next to the house it is covered in bee crap. The 20 or so vehicles in my yard are covered in crap. Vehicles 600ft away have 100 or so crap dots on the windshield. Not that this bothers me at all but I thought I would share.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have 2 hives 25 feet from house. Have never seen crap on house or cars.
The crows and the cars are another matter.
How do they aim for the windshield?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts