Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
Hope all of you beeks had a happy and enjoyable thanksgiving.

I am building some pallets and top cover for the upcoming spring. I have the basic tools like the table saw, etc. So I can do many of the cuts for the lumber myself. But my thought is if I can stick with box store dimensional lumber as much as I can, then I can save a lot of time. With that being said, I have a question on rims for the rims in the pallet. All my readings suggest we need the rim to be 3/8" in height. I cannot find dimensional lumber with that height of 3/8 inch, which is pressure treated. So my question is what others in this forum are using for the rim. Are you guys using 3/8" or something different. If so what height and how you are achieving the same with box store lumber. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can use 1/2 inch or even 3/4 inch. It does not have to be 3/8 inch. I am using 5/8 for the rims. I use the 5/8 inch dog eared treated fence boards for the rims.They cost about $1.72 for a 5.5 inch wide by 6 foot long board.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I build my whole pallet except for the 2x4 runners from the the 5/8 boards, they are treated and last a long time. The only thing about the boards is that they are still wet when you buy them and there is some shrinkage in width of the boards over time. If you set the boards in the sun for a couple of weeks they will dry out and work fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Greg. I was thinking of using Advantech OSB Boards for the bottom board. Do you have any experience on Advantech ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Advantech will work put it is very expensive and the main draw back to it is the weight. That stuff is very heavy, if you are going to ship bees anywhere on a truck that will be a big drawback for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @Greg. Understood the weight. I am not doing any migrations now. Mostly queen, nucs & honey. No pollination so far. Thanks again for the information. Appreciate the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.