Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One hive I had lost their queen about a month ago. I did not see any queen cells after week one, so I gave them a frame of fresh eggs/brood every week for a few weeks. Now got a queen and she is laying a good pattern.

However, there are some extra capped queen cells. So what happens when these new queens emerge?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if swarm cells, thats what they'll do. if supercedure cells, the queens will sort it out. good luck,mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
supersedure cells are located in the upper two-thirds of the frame and swarm cells along the bottom third.

Now those are guidelines, if the bees are in emergency mode they will make a queen cell anywhere they find a viable egg. ALso not all the bees read from the same books I do.

The cell I found is at the bottom, but I can't image these guys are wanting to swarm, they have been without a queen for a while, just got a new one and this hive has tons of room (plus a honey supers on it) I think this is a left over from when they were making replacement queens, and I was giving them frams of eggs

I don't like removing queen cells, regardless. Generaly I figure the bees know what they are doing better than me, so going to let them sort this out.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
possibly they didnt "lose" their queen-they already swarmed, and what you see is her replacement.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is what i did. Today I pulled that one frame that had the queen cell and another of brood and a third of stores, and put them in a Nuc box.

Lets see if they will raise a new queen in the NUC,

I can allways use another laying queen and/or working nuc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts