Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved a hive into our main yard - this hive is very strong - Seems when I look at it today there is a fight every few minutes - not so sure if it’s robbing - is it possible that after a move some bees aren’t welcomed back in the hive?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I think it's more likely to be that the hives already in the yard are trying to harass the new bees in the yard. Maybe some nectar or honey was disturbed in the hive during the move and is leaking down. At the very least, put a robbing screen on the new hive tonight at dusk. (I'd put them on all hives, but then I put great store on a quiet yard.)

Unless a lot of bees were killed in the move the strong hive will be able to withstand the losses. But the colonies that are doing the robbing may not. And robbing begets more robbing, so it's best to not let it continue.

If you think it's even slightly possible it's robbing, deal with it as if you knew it is robbing: Immediate wet sheet over the victim to give you time make or fetch robbing screens. As an alternative to the sheet thing, I have used multiple lawn sprinklers over the whole area to simulate a rain shower and send the thugs home.

Since robbing screens work well, and have no downsides, so there is nothing lost if it turns out not to be robbing. I think every beekeeper should have a robbing screen for each colony, as standard hive equipment. When you need one, you really need one, ASAP. No time to make one or get one shipped.

Nancy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts