Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start my very first set of hives and the more I read about hive location the more confused it makes me about the location I have designated for my hives so you guys help me. I farm so I have plenty of choices but I want the hives so that I can see and walk to them if I'd like to.. Ok I want my hive as close to my house as possible but not close enough to interfer with my outside pets or a relaxing afternoon on the deck. I have placed the stands about 200 yds behind my house on the back side of a very slight hill with the entrance facing southeast. The hives will be about 50 feet from a small creek. They will catch the rising sun about 9:00 AM and will be in full sun till about 4:00 PM ( this time of the year) after which they will be in the shade of the tree line that runs along in front of the hives about which is about 20 feet in front of the hives. I could back them up about 100 feet which would give them basically full sun (9:00 am till sundown) but that would put them up in the hay field that I cut for baling. I've been told that this is fine and that I will appreciate the shade while working the bees then some tell me...that's to much shade..I really like the spot but I want it to be the right spot. Let me know if you have further questions..thanks so much

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine had full sun from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM and did great in SC. I relocated them to the upstate area in November where they will have abit more exposure, though the 8 to 3 worked fine. Our were about 50' from our back deck up. You'll definately appreciate the shade in the Summer heat. I work mine before 10:00 AM in the Summer.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Your spot sounds perfect to me! You've thought out some of the most important elements and they should do well there. It looks like you might even have a nice windbreak behind them on the north. If they are in the sun from 9 - 4 that will work out great, for them and you.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I have my hive about 70 feet from the house, and it's fine. No problem with bees on the back porch and they don't mind me mowing once a week, although I do have the hive about 16" from the ground.

You do NOT want the hives where you could knock them over with farm equipment....

Peter

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Around here.... hives that are out in the full sun always seem to do the best. Hard to believe, but the are excellent at controlling there own environment.Makes it kind of tough in a Clinton... July... sun.... with a full bee suit on, but like I said... the bees will do better.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Since the hive placement is 50 feet from a small creek, are you sure that the creek will never flood, or water ever reach the hives? My hives are about 50 yards from a creek but there is a 20 yard buffer of dense vegetation on both sides that protects against too much run-off and flooding. There is about a 5 foot elevation from the creek bed to the hives also.

As has been mentioned, some people have their hives much closer to their homes than 200 yards and are not bothered by the everyday activities of the bees. If by placing them closer to your house and they would get sunlight earlier in the day; that would be good but not absolutely necessary.

Hive stands: I would consider having some space between the boards so that air can circulate and moisture can evaporate quickly from underneath the bottom boards.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I would turn the blocks 90 degrees so they are perpendicular to the planks and separate the planks so they catch the front and the back of the hives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.