Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The Golf course is not a good thing. I would not even think of putting bees that close to a golf course.

Take a drive and look for silos. If you have windmills, Silos with windmills is even better.

Crazy Roland

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
The bees are pretty adept at finding forage where we would think none exists. My work hive is is located in an industrial area that includes huge amounts of asphalt and gravel. The bees have been bringing in pollen every day they can fly. No idea what it is since the nights now are well below freezing. My guess is that if there is a single dandelion within two miles, the bees will find it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Me, I'd be looking strongly at plopping them in the open grassy field, upper left quarter of the original photo (with yellow printing in "the field"). Hives unobstructed, away a distance from most everything, bees up at altitude above most, and quickly flying to wherever. Hives can be in sun dawn to dusk. For me the only thing detrimental is the openness to neighbors viewing, ie. no "out of site, out of mind". But the look of the community area is ya have responsible neighbors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Me, I'd be looking strongly at plopping them in the open grassy field, upper left quarter of the original photo (with yellow printing in "the field").
Indeed, lots of sun there, but I'm pretty sure that would be me in a HOA battle for sure...

I do appreciate everyone's advice here.

Currently contemplating putting up some raised garden/flower beds to the right of our home as it faces the road-- second picture; Location #1 in my original post. And then perhaps place the hives behind the raised beds, and include some drinking water sources for them. This would improve my tomato garden substantially (currently plant in pots behind the house), allow me to expand into some other veggies, and also provide something pretty to look at from (flowers/shrubs), and a tiny snack for the bees coming/going from the hive. It also keeps the bees a little further from the pool, which my wife is quite keen about.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
Indeed, lots of sun there, but I'm pretty sure that would be me in a HOA battle for sure...

I do appreciate everyone's advice here.

Currently contemplating putting up some raised garden/flower beds to the right of our home as it faces the road-- second picture; Location #1 in my original post. And then perhaps place the hives behind the raised beds, and include some drinking water sources for them. This would improve my tomato garden substantially (currently plant in pots behind the house), allow me to expand into some other veggies, and also provide something pretty to look at from (flowers/shrubs), and a tiny snack for the bees coming/going from the hive. It also keeps the bees a little further from the pool, which my wife is quite keen about.
put at the edge of the garden something that climes like pole beans or cucumbers to have extra height for the summer to also hide the stack of supers.
Also use paint on the raised bed that matches the hives, be surprised how many people are not that observant these days. A U or C shaped Garden serviced from the outside, with Hives in the center would keep with the out of sight out of mind theory.

GG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
put at the edge of the garden something that climes like pole beans or cucumbers to have extra height for the summer to also hide the stack of supers.
Also use paint on the raised bed that matches the hives, be surprised how many people are not that observant these days. A U or C shaped Garden serviced from the outside, with Hives in the center would keep with the out of sight out of mind theory.

GG
My thinking exactly. I'm too novice with bees to know how much room I'll need to service the hives though, but I'm sure the bee class will help me with that.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
My thinking exactly. I'm too novice with bees to know how much room I'll need to service the hives though, but I'm sure the bee class will help me with that.
3 feet is nice, 2 times the diameter of your body is a good min guess.
when you get your wooden ware, set it up against a wall, take out every frame , take off boxes put them on, if you keep banging into the wall then try more room.
FYI I have several I do from the front, IE no room in the back. It is doable just more bees in your face and on your cloths.
Supers can be added from the front, not an "often" event and don't take a lot of time.

If you have the time a slide or rolling base would allow for more space while working them and then slide in for the majority of the time.

GG

·
Registered
50 Posts
Backyard along the tree line facing East. Dont even tell the neighbors until they notice you are up and running. Two hives wont be problem. Good luck. Enjoy your bees, try not to stress to much over this. They will do fine.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
You know, seeing the area I am betting your neighbors all use some kind of pesticide for their lawns. Or the company that cuts the lawn does. I see perfect lawns with cross cut marks.
You may want to think a bit more about it.

I live in an area that is 90% rental duplexes and almost No one takes care of their lawns... much less cuts it on a regular basis. One neighbor across the street has a bug guy come and I did talk to her about it. She is happy about the Bees as she is the only other one that tries to have (and succeeds ) to have a garden. She says she would have no idea I had bees unless someone told her. They don't seem to go to her garden much ;) But they do go to my dandelions

41 - 49 of 49 Posts