Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I have a near perfect location for a few of my hives except for one possible problem...

A neighboring family occasionally (1x month in summer, always at night) has bonfires at night about 40 yards downwind of the prospect bee yard. Any thoughts or opinions on the indirect smoke causing issues?

I suspect it would not be a problem, but wanted reassurance from folks who know more than I (almost all of you).

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Nor would I. Have the same type of neighbors. I don't think the bees even noticed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto. I have a brush pile about 80 feet from my bee yard. Burn it every other fall. Bees don't seem to mind. Grandkids enjoy the big wiener roast.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My kid and his friends have a bonfire within 40 yards of my hives literally at least 2x a week. The emerald ash borer has been providing the wood lately :(. Never bothers the bees.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have an outdoor firepit/bench area about 50' upwind of my hives. We use it frequently. My teens are always out there with their friends roasting hotdogs and smores and dragging the projector out to watch a movie beside the fire. The bees have never been bothered and never bother us.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We have bon fires about every other week 30-40 feet away from my best and strongest hive. They don't even care, however; Larry the rooster in the chicken coop across the fence gives us grief every time we burn. I think the music disturbs his beauty sleep.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Of course we all know that Rosters and Honey bees are flammable, and when said occurrence is forth coming, maybe a Public Service Announcement is in order for the said domicles for Chickens and Bee's--to the affect that the unswarthy neighbors are about to cause an unsafe condition, and give time and date so all Roosters and Bees can avoid an encounter in said area {:>\

==McBee7==

·
Registered
503 Posts
Useful thread for me; I have a big brushpile about 25 meters from my bees, mostly crosswind. I'd wondered. Now I see it as not causing problems for beekeepers. Now if only some bees, or maybe even some real people, would reply.... I do note that one honest-to-goodness bush replied. If he found a bonfire non-threatening, then maybe it's OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts