Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temp today mid 60s, first hive inspection since November. First hive is queen right with patches of various aged brood ranging in size from softball to to half of the frame which is about what I expected, the second hive had a good population of workers but also 100+ drones about a quarter of two frames was capped drone cells I could not see any larvae I am guessing that in the past few weeks it has lost its queen. Any suggestions on where to obtain a queen this early in the year ?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sounds likely that your queen ran outta sperm. Are you able to recognize the differences between laying workers and a drone laying queen? If it's a drone laying queen, you could squish and replace her, even borrowing a small bit of brood from the good hive to prevent laying workers. If you are already looking at laying workers, I'd shake them out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. The hive had a 2019 queen from a source that I trust, though it is possible that she mated poorly. I can recognize the differences between drone laying and laying workers. I closely examined each frame and could not find the queen also no eggs or young larvae just several capped drone, which leads me to the conclusion that it no longer has queen. We still have about a month and half of questionable weather with only two frames of brood in the queen right hive. I am thinking my best option would be a combine until queens are available and then split them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could give OHB a call, they may have some from their Hawaii apiary rtg, I have got queens from them over winter a couple of times. ...Once you are sure that is the rt you need to go.

https://www.ohbees.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts