Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed my brother-in-law's GoPro camera to video a hive inspection using THE PERFECT POCKET HIVE TOOL. It was a mid-February check on a late summer split that I made to deal with a hot hive (another story). The bees seemed to be doing ok and the hive tool worked great. It is my own design that I had manufactured. Finally a hive tool designed be a hive tool instead of a modified paint scraper painted orange!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GV65WKfb5I

·
Registered
315 Posts
I like your video! I watched the whole thing, mainly so I could keep listening to your accent lol. But the hive tool looks awesome too! I like that it is smaller. And I did notice how you got distracted with your bee inspection, but then got back onto the subject of the hive tool. :) so, do you have a site where one could place an order?

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
I'll agree with you on one thing, the Maxant tool IS too wide at the hook end. Can't understand this. I had to grind mine narrower to work. Like your idea, but I think I'd want the length of mine halfway between yours and the full size. I see some time spent in the shop for me before spring!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like your video! I watched the whole thing, mainly so I could keep listening to your accent lol. But the hive tool looks awesome too! I like that it is smaller. And I did notice how you got distracted with your bee inspection, but then got back onto the subject of the hive tool. :) so, do you have a site where one could place an order?
They are in the Spring 2014 Dadant catalogue or online at dadant.com

·
Registered
641 Posts
I met SL Tx at the Houston Beekeepers meeting and bought two of these wonderful "Perfect PHT" from him, they are fine tools. Sl Tx gave a tool box presentation at an earlier HB meeting and has a very inventive mind and is a very good speaker. (He introduced me to using a propane torch to lite a smoker!).

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Pretty cool - but I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect hive tool. Certainly every one will like one better than others though.

I just got a go-pro for Christmas, and have only begun to play with it, but there are three focal length settings - wide angle, really wide angle, and really really wide angle. The last one is the default and makes it look like you are peering down from 12 feet in the air. Nonetheless - good job - you're better about not moving around too wildly than I am - mine all look like the Blair Witch Beekeeping Project so far.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you using foundationless frames?
The two dark colored frames are from an old hive that I split in late summer to deal with bad behavior. It was on wax foundation but the bees have worked it over several years to make it look like natural comb. I had been unable to find the queen because there were just too many bees to be able to see. I split the brood nest into several nucs and the one with the parasitized queen cell held the bad girl...problem solved.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would agree that little in our lives is perfect...but "perfect pocket hive tool" isn't too outrageous a claim since it is about the only one that will fit in your jacket pocket and it will stay there when you take it off. I have dozens of hive tools but now really just use one.

I almost wore one out (a joke) earlier in the week: I inherited a hive from a buddy last summer. He was moving and had hinted that it probably was a mess. The bees seemed to overwinter just fine but I wanted to take a quick peak. When I pried the inner cover up I discovered that the super on top only had five frames in it and the open space was full of comb that had been attached to the inner cover...bummer. The weather was fine for a project and I ended up moving them into new boxes (the old one needed to be painted).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts