Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I am a fan of all white uniform hives, but found that I needed some way to differentiate my hives in my notes. I decided to add a spray-painted different colored washers screwed to the front of all my hive tops so I can note specifics about each hive while still keeping white hives (blue, green, purple - you get the idea) (in the photo below). My question is while this works for my notes does this do anything for the bees? I have under 10 hives so I'm not super worried about drift but I am wondering if the bees see can see the painted washer and use it to identify the hive?????

Hives.jpg

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,281 Posts
It is possible that they could differentiate the hives based on that small spot of color. I hear they are better with shapes and number of shapes, up to four. I like what Brian at BackyardbeesNC does. He paints the rim of the telescoping top different colors while maintaining the white hive body. I tried painting the whole hive the same color, each hive a different color. That lasted until my first manipulation and the colors started getting mixed up. Now I paint whatever needs painting with whatever color is handy. Drives my wife nuts.
The bees locate their hive by position, not color. You could swap the white hive for one painted brown. As long as it was is the same place, the returning foragers would fly right in.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Today I just put on Velcro I had laying around.
One is black square, 1"x2", the other is a small round white spot about size of dime.
For now they are just the grippy part.
only one hive has bees at the moment but when I split them I will put maybe a different color and attach it to the velcro (with the other half that sticks to the grippy part... if that makes sense)

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,281 Posts
:lpf: You're killing me! Velcro of course is the trademarked name of a hook and loop fastening system. The hooks would be the grippy stuff while the loop is the fuzzy stuff that sticks to the grippy stuff.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Lol know I couldn't for the life of me think of how to explain it. BTW I did use the name brand Velcro.
Anyway I read it somewhere and thought it was a good idea.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey all - I am a fan of all white uniform hives, but found that I needed some way to differentiate my hives in my notes. I decided to add a spray-painted different colored washers screwed to the front of all my hive tops so I can note specifics about each hive while still keeping white hives (blue, green, purple - you get the idea) (in the photo below). My question is while this works for my notes does this do anything for the bees? I have under 10 hives so I'm not super worried about drift but I am wondering if the bees see can see the painted washer and use it to identify the hive?????

View attachment 56141
When I first started bee keeping, I velcroed on little wooden cutout thingys from a craft store. Each was different, one was a bee, one a rainbow, etc, etc...... I kept a 'diary' on my hives, using the name of the cutout as the name of the hive, religiously documenting everything after inspections, varroa treatment...... I got too busy, and that went by the wayside. I saw on BS where someone said they just used a sharpie, and wrote on the hive tops what was going on in each hive. I started using that technique, and I LOVE it. Don't have to flip through a book to see what I did last time I inspected or what I saw. Once the hive top is full, I can just paint over it, and start again. It was fun doing the diary/log, in the beginning, but eventually you may do as I do, in 5 years or so. It is enjoyable to read over what I did at the start.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I number my stands with paint. No confusion for me or the bees. White paint pen. Those yellow animal tags don't last in the sun. Plus you have to buy them and have the right numbers on hand. Also my white painted numbers give Charlie something good to ridicule.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
But will they stick to a variety of stains, paint, rough wood and cinder blocks?
Numbering stands reduces need to constantly re-lable boxes.
I just put a staple into the hive body right above the opening. The attached picture is something I'm experimenting with this year inspired by Ian. 3 6-frame nucs with 2 10-frame supers on top. I wanted to be able to tell which was swarms and which was overwintered bees.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am using the adhesive labels from Home Depot and paste then onto the cover. However, I found that the labels start losing the print after a year in the sun making it hard to see what it is. I think I am going to start painting numbers on the covers. What type of paint should I use on aluminum? I want the paint to stick so I don't have to keep repainting every year.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts