Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice that when a hive loses a queen, the bees don’t always raise a new queen...

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would have thought that the queen would have eggs/larvae before she perished...
Did she just stop laying and die days later? Seems strange.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It can happen, either the queen gets injured or something that affects her ability to lay and the bees don't pick up on it in time. If they miss that narrow window to turn eggs into queens, then the colony is doomed. Sometimes its better if the queen just up and dies suddenly, rather than a slow burn/fade away.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
It can happen, either the queen gets injured or something that affects her ability to lay and the bees don't pick up on it in time. If they miss that narrow window to turn eggs into queens, then the colony is doomed. Sometimes its better if the queen just up and dies suddenly, rather than a slow burn/fade away.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
One of my hives is very weak.Ido se limited larvae and some very spotty older brood that came with the nuc a month ago. I have ordered a new queen and if he other queen is there I will replace her. In situations like this it may be too late to save the hive without giving it some brood and eggs from a stringer hive. I may be like you and have already lost the queen as I didn't seer her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts