Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting some Medium supers together.

I sq'd everything up and the boxes went together great.

When they are stacked one on top of each other there is a little space on some of the boxes and they do not sit flush, a very little space.

Is this OK or should I sand them so they fit flush top to bottom.:s

Brooklyn

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am a third year beekeeper and second year box builder (one seems to follow the other) and my early boxes were the same. I used them anyway and the bees did just fine. My boxes and their fit are better now but I saw no ill effect from the small gaps. I am in No. Idaho and my bees have survived two extreme winters.

Good Luck.

Rick

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's why bees make propolis. For craftsmen, like you and me! :)
That's funny! :doh:

I have an old hive that was "made by a Mexican" and it is a real piece of work. The bees are amazing though and fill up the cracks with propolis so fast. I've sat there and watched the girls fill in cracks, it's really amazing actually.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I guess I'd have to ask what a "little space" is. The bees will use propolis to close up small gaps. Better to leave the gap than to sand or plane the box and risk messing up bee space between the two boxes. I have a box or two that ended up with more of a gap than I wanted and I use those to enclose feed jars or dry sugar in the winter. Pretty much all equipment is good equipment at some point or another!

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I sq'd everything up and the boxes went together great.

When they are stacked one on top of each other there is a little space on some of the boxes and they do not sit flush, a very little space.:s
Brooklyn
When assembleing boxes one should set them on a flat sruface to check and make adjustments before the glue dries.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the boxes were made they did fit flat. We did the paper test. A piece of paper between the boxes to check for resistance.:thumbsup:

But after painting them the swelled. I wanted to know if I should sand them down and repaint.:s

Brooklyn

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
How long have they been in use? Is there a possibility they may shrink back to correct, or nearly so, size after a year or so of "seasoning?" I'd let the bees deal with it myself.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
A lot op beeks say its better to have a small gap than a perfect fit. That way you don't chip up the boxes getting the hive tool in-between.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
If it is more than 1/8 inch, I'd fix it. If it is 1/8 or less gap, that is where you insert your hive tool to break apart the boxes.

Once the boxes are full of honey, the weight will reduce gaps too.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You've got better things to worry over than small gaps. Stack them on the bees and if you have too large a gap then duct tape it! Always carry a roll of duct tape when you go to your yards; lids warp, boxes warp, boxes rot out at corners. And sooner or later you'll have a bad case of robbing and forgot your entrance reducers; duct tape it down to a small opening. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts