Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to beekeeping, and unfortunately out of excitement I purchased a hive and bees before doing all the research I probably should have done. I now have the Beekeepers Handbook and do research when I can. I have a single brood box with Italian honey bees, and I am located in the high desert of California. I previously inspected the hive after introduction and the queen was accepted and released, and I have a ladder feeder using a 1:1 sugar water ratio. Today is day 9 after introduction and I performed an inspection, I have a few questions I would like a more experienced confident beekeepers advice on. In the two pictures attached, the picture of the frame I believe shows a section of capped off cells with some larva cells on the perimeter. The box has about 4 frames with comb being built but this is the only frame with any brood cells. In my research generally the honey comb and the brood cells are much darker, is this a concern? Should I have more brood cells than this after day nine, I started with brand new frames and no starter comb. The frame with brood cells is only two frames away from the feeder and not in the middle, is this an issue? I have read it should be centered. Lastly out of curiosity the other picture shows some of the bees with pollen sacs, what do the different color sacs mean? Different types of pollen? I want to ensure my hive is healthy any advice is definitely welcome! Thanks!

IMG-2321.jpg IMG-2322.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could the orange be from anything else? We do not have poison ivy in the desert as far as I am aware. Is the orange bad will it hurt the hive?

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
They will commonly start out nearer to the feeder. An experienced beekeeper could move things around a bit, but as you a new, and the pictures don't indicate the total hive population, could be best to just let them organise things how they want for now, and maybe move things a little once they have brood starting to hatch.

All combs start out white, then gradually darken as more cycles of brood go through it.

The different pollen colors are just pollen from different flowers.

I do not see any stored nectar or syrup in the comb, but it's a hard angle to really tell. But just wondering if you are feeding them enough, how much one to one would they be consuming in say, a week?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hive populate completely covers about three frames. Thanks for the information on the color of the comb and the pollen that is good to know.
There are small amounts of stored nectar and syrup but not as much as my research has shown, they consumed a full gallon feeder in the last week, I am not sure how long it was empty, but it was filled a week ago and empty today, should I be feeding more frequently?

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
Re feeding, if there are just small amounts of stored syrup then yes, increase the amount fed. But you don't want to overfeed either, as that can cause robbing. You judge by seeing how much is stored, if there is not much stored and plenty empty cells you can feed more. Lack of feed can hold them back. Eventually they will collect natural nectar and no longer require feeding. As there are just 3 frames of bees, keep the entrance quite small so they can easily protect themselves against robbing.

At 3 frames of bees, their ability to keep brood warm is an issue. So for now, you don't want to spread brood aggressively, it can end up getting chilled. A safe plan is to leave them how they are until brood starts hatching. At that time you can move all the frames of bees away from the feeder by one frame, and put an empty frame between the bee covered frames, and the feeder. This will allow them to expand the brood area in both directions, as they feel able. As they expand, just move things along, giving them an empty frame each side of the brood area, so they can easily continue to expand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts